The J B Petit High School for Girls has continuously evolved over its 150 years of existence, and continues to do so. What has remained the same however, is the commitment to a holistic system of education for Indian girls.
Started in 1860 by a dynamic and far-sighted Englishwoman, Ms. Prescott, the school was originally called Miss Prescott's Fort Christian School. Thanks to munificent donations from city philanthropists, among them distinguished Mumbai citizen, Mr. Premchand Roychand, in 1878 it was renamed the Frere Fletcher School.
In 1915, Mr. Jehangir Bomanji Petit, a scion of a prominent family of philanthropists, took over the running of the school. In 1946, a Board of Trustees was set up, comprising eminent individuals from different walks of life who took over the stewardship of the school.
Through the following decades, and under the able guidance and leadership of visionary Principals, supported by a committed and dedicated staff, the J.B. Petit High School for Girls has flourished and established a reputation as a premier educational institution that has continued to maintain its distinctive legacy of excellence in education.